ADSM-L

Upgrading from DLT4000 to DLT7000

1999-01-13 05:12:17
Subject: Upgrading from DLT4000 to DLT7000
From: Nolan Rogers <RogersN AT CGTECHS.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:12:17 +0000
Dear All,

We are about to migrate from a STK9714 containing DLT4000 drives to a
STK9710 containing DLT7000 drives.

What is the most efficient way to perform this upgrade as obviously all
are current tapepool volumes are in DLT4000 format.

Do I:
1) Update the device class for the copy groups to be DLT7000 with format
DLT35C.
2) Mark existing volumes as read only.
3) Add new volumes and perform reclamations and move data commands to
move the data onto these new volumes.

Are there any problems with this approach?

Questions:
1) Once empty, will a volume automatically be rewritten in DLT7000
format or will I need to perform a dsmlabel or similar.
2) Is the latest microcode level for DLT7000 drives .90, are there any
problems with using this?

We are using version 3.1.1.5 or the ADSM server

Regards, Nolan Rogers
Cheltenham & Gloucester PLC

--
Nolan Rogers