ADSM-L

Re: 3570 Magstar device and compression

1999-01-12 23:10:08
Subject: Re: 3570 Magstar device and compression
From: "Kelly J. Lipp" <lipp AT STORSOL DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:10:08 -0700
I'll ask a slightly different question but related.  Netware offers
compression, correct?  When the client backs up files in a compressed netware
file system, is the data uncompressed before it is sent?  I would think it is,
but if so, decompressing, and then compressing again with ADSM would seem to me
a bit slow.

I haven't seen any situations where compression=on has worked well.  I'm an old
hardware guy and I've got to think that the hardware compression will always be
better than software compression.

Kelly Lipp
SSSI