ADSM-L

3570 Magstar device and compression

1999-01-12 15:46:31
Subject: 3570 Magstar device and compression
From: Tom Haddad <thaddad AT COLUMBIAENERGYGROUP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 15:46:31 -0500
I have 3570 devices (models B and C) running ADSM v3.1.
They have been operational for a short time, but I have questions about client
compression.
The drives are defined as FORMAT=DRIVE and DEVTYPE=3570.

In regards to Netware (4.11) clients, how can I maximize my compression gain??
I attempted to leave COMP=NO at the server (for the node) and COMP OFF in the
OPT file and let the hardware take
over with compression. Looks Iike I average about 7 or 9G max on a tape
cartridge as they became full.
Next I want to put COMP ON in the OPT file and see if I get more compression..
Any help?

I think my NT clients gain an overall better compression rate than my Netware
clients..hmmm!!

Looks like compression gain is driven by  the type of client(data),
hardware...etc..