ADSM-L

Dividing one big Storage Pool to smaller storage pools

1999-01-12 13:25:47
Subject: Dividing one big Storage Pool to smaller storage pools
From: Naveed Mustafa <Naveed_Mustafa AT MCKINSEY DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:25:47 -0500
Hi there,

We are running ADSM Server version 3.1.1.5 on an AIX 4.1.5 server.  At
present, we have two DLT backup and archive storage pools, DLT_BACKUP_POOL
and DLT_ARCHIVE_POOL.

Due to the exponential growth in the ADSM data and nodes, we are thinking
to restructure the tape storage pools and dividing them up to three backup
and three archive pools, i.e., DLT_BK_POOL01, DLT_BK_POOL02, and
DLT_BK_POOL03 for backup storage pool and DLT_AR_POOL01, DLT_AR_POOL02, and
DLT_AR_POOL03 for the archive storage pool.  Each storage pool will be
responsible to backup different sets of domains currently registered to
ADSM.

Accordingly, we will be creating three individual COPYPOOLs, i.e.,
COPY_POOL01, COPY_POOL02, and COPY_POOL03.  These copypools will be mapped
to backup the following primary tape storage pools:

COPY_POOL01 to backup DLT_BK_POOL01 and DLT_AR_POOL01
COPY_POOL02 to backup DLT_BK_POOL02 and DLT_AR_POOL02
COPY_POOL03 to backup DLT_BK_POOL03 and DLT_AR_POOL03

In order to implement the aforementioned structure to ADSM environment, I
would like to ask the ADSM community some questions:

1.  How would I identify which tapes in the DLT_BACKUP_POOL and
DLT_ARCHIVE_POOL contains  the data of which  domain or of which server
belonging to a specific domain?  Similar thing is required for the COPYPOOL
tape segregation as well.  If the following query is run:

     adsm> select volume_name from volumeusage where node_name=?nodename?
and                                     stgpool_name=?DLT_BACKUP_POOL?
group by volume_name

it will give me a list of tapes but IBM claims that due to a bug in
3.1.1.5, the information obtained may not be accurate.

2.  If you have experience in doing such restructure, is there any easy way
of performing the task?  Currently, we have over 1500 tapes comprising of
the two storage pools and on COPYPOOL.

3.  Is it possible that after identifying the tapes to which domain they
belong to, we simply update their storage pool destination?

Would greatly appreciate if you can assist me in resolving this matter.

Regards,
Naveed.