ADSM-L

Re: Sharing a 3494 between ADSM servers using 1 scratch category

1999-01-11 09:08:36
Subject: Re: Sharing a 3494 between ADSM servers using 1 scratch category
From: Hilton Tina <HiltonT AT TCE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:08:36 -0500
I hope someone with real experience (and therefore better knowledge) than I
answers this too.  I will be connecting a second ADSM server to my 3494
tomorrow.  I will have separate categories as recommended.  It might be
different if both servers are on the same AIX box (and therefore using the
same lmcp process), but it seems logical that each server will see the tapes
as scratch or data as it knows it.  One may think a particular tape is
scratch while the other has already used it and then your data will get
clobbered.  The ADSM Administration Guide says:

Attention: If you connect other systems or ADSM servers to a single 349X
library, ensure that each uses a unique set of category numbers. Otherwise,
two or more systems may try to use the same volume, and cause a corruption
or loss of data.

I would believe this and not take any chances.

Tina