ADSM-L

Re: New Library - Old Storage Pool

1999-01-11 07:54:09
Subject: Re: New Library - Old Storage Pool
From: "Garin P. Walsh" <Garin_Walsh AT NOTES.SABRE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:54:09 -0500
I too have experienced the "I have no idea what is wrong with the drive. Oh
you use ADSM? Must be the software then." In every case it has actually
been the hardware/microcode and not ADSM. It is safe to say that there is
nothing out there that "exercises" a drive the way ADSM does and if you
have a questionable drive, ADSM will cause it to fail regularly. My
experience with these drives has been mostly positive with the negatives
coming from a flaky head brush assembly and field service throwing various
fixes at the drive without understanding the problem - no fault to the
field service guys though since they get to watch a 30 minute video and are
then called "qualified" on the drive. No way. So, upgrade to the latest
Atape driver (if you are using that), the latest microcode for the drive,
your favorite version of ADSM and if that doesn't solve the problems, push
back on them, their second level phone support will probably have the
answer, you just need to get the field tech to call them.

Good luck.
Garin Walsh
The Sabre Group

Ray Pratts <pratts AT ibm DOT net> on 01/10/99 09:10:16 AM

Please respond to pratts AT ibm DOT net