ADSM-L

Re: archive retaining dirs differently from files?

1999-01-06 19:44:21
Subject: Re: archive retaining dirs differently from files?
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 19:44:21 -0500
At 08:50 PM 1/5/99 -0700, Bruce Elrick wrote:
>Has anyone experienced the following?

We are struggling with the new behaviour of archive as well.
We have scripts that archive files.  These scripts worked fine in v1 & v2,
but do not work fine in v3.  For each file that we archive, we used to just
archive 1 object, the file.  In v3, there are 2 objects archived, the file
and the containing directory.  The bad part is, if we archive 100 files in
the same directory, we get 100 archived files, and 100 archived directories
(of the same directory!).  The worst part is that when we delete the file
(or all 100 files), the directories stay behind.  There appears to be no
(reasonable) way to delete these directory objects.

I was hopeful that the "-filesonly" option would solve our problem, but was
then told by support that this option was incorrectly documented in the
original V3 manual as being supported on the ARCHIVE command.  It is not,
and I'm told that the manual has been corrected.

I have an open PMR and am told that an APAR will be assigned shortly.  When
I get it, I will append the APAR # here for other folks interested in this.

For any ADSM developers who read this list, I would like to make the
observation that non-upward compatible changes to the user interface can
significant adverse effects on users of the product, especially if no
adequate workarounds exist.

Regards,
..Paul