ADSM-L

Microsoft Cluster Server

1999-01-05 11:26:40
Subject: Microsoft Cluster Server
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 10:26:40 -0600
Is anyone aware of any backup products which interface with ADSM which are
MS Cluster Server aware.

We currently have installed the ADSM Backup Archive Client on two NT Servers
clustered together.

Both these servers share one MSA made up of 3 logical drives. When a
failover occurs the drives failover to the other server.

However the ADSM Scheduler is unaware of the failover and fails to backup
the failed over drives and we miss a backup.

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Failovers may occur regularly - this means that we are effectively
duplicating all our data since both nodes have backed up all filespaces at
one time or other when the particular drive was available to the node. Each
of these logical drives is over 100Gb in size! It's a lot of data to backup
each time a failover occurs.

Restores are also very cumbersome since it is difficult to ascertain where
to restore a document from - Node A or Node B??? The only current foolproof
method is to run a picklist for both, but this is hardly ideal.

Nathan King
Storage & Automation Management
*  (210) 913-5755
* Pager: 753-5755
* E-mail: nathan.king AT usaa DOT com

The opinions herein are solely author's  and are not necessarily the opinion
of USAA.