ADSM-L

Strange 3575 library behaviour

1998-12-29 06:56:26
Subject: Strange 3575 library behaviour
From: "Grendelman M. (Martijn)" <Martijn.Grendelman AT NL.FORTIS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:56:26 +0100
Hi,

I am experiencing some strange and unwanted behaviour of our ADSM controlled
3575 tape library. Every day around noon, tapes are exported with a MOVE
DRMEDIA command, using the REMOVE=BULK option. Most of the times this works
fine. Sometimes, however, I get the following (slot nrs. 32 thru 45 are
export slots, unnecessary info from activity log is removed):

First, slots 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36 are filled as usual. Then:

ANR6696I MOVE DRMEDIA: CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME for volume 00F8C6 in library
3575LIB starting.
ANR8829I Remove volume 00F8C6 from slot 37 of library 3575LIB at your
convenience.

Also correct, but THEN:

ANR6696I MOVE DRMEDIA: CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME for volume 00F954 in library
3575LIB starting.
ANR8827E No Entry/Exit port is avaiable on library 3575LIB.
ANR8829I Remove volume 00F954 from slot 171 of library 3575LIB at your
convenience.

It leaves the tape in its original location, coz it doesn't seem to find an
empty export slot. The slots ARE empty however, I know this because I
checked AND the next step proves it:

ANR6696I MOVE DRMEDIA: CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME for volume 00F8C9 in library
3575LIB starting.
ANR8829I Remove volume 00F8C9 from slot 38 of library 3575LIB at your
convenience.
ANR6696I MOVE DRMEDIA: CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME for volume 00F46D in library
3575LIB starting.
ANR8829I Remove volume 00F46D from slot 39 of library 3575LIB at your
convenience.
ANR6682I MOVE DRMEDIA command ended: 9 volumes processed.

The remaining two cartridges are placed in slots 38 and 39.

I have seen this several times, although not every day. Is this a bug? This
behaviour is very annoying, because it means I have to manually check the
locations every day and move the tape(s) myself. Hey, our tape guys don't
have a clue where slot nr. 171 is!

Thanx in advance for any comment!!
Martijn.