ADSM-L

Unexplained ADSM Server Crashes

1998-12-22 09:01:38
Subject: Unexplained ADSM Server Crashes
From: Mark Dyer <mark.dyer AT FLE.GMPT.GMEDS DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:01:38 -0500
Hello All,

Well, after lurking on this discussion group for nearly two years, I'm
involved in deploying ADSM.
We are trying to run ADSM Server 3.1.2.1 on Solaris 2.6 on an E450
server.

Is there anyone out there who has seen anything like this:

We installed Sun Enterprise Volume Manager and used this to mirror both
the OS and the ADSM Database. During our initial install and test, the
system crashed.  Volume Manager reported that one of the
drives in the database volume was failing.  Despite the presence of a
spare drive, Volume Manager failed
to rebuild the database from the mirrored volume although it did import
the spare drive into the logical
volume.

We called Sun and reported what had happened.  They sent us a new disk
drive.  We reinstalled ADSM
and started adding Clients to the server.  The initial client backups
were running along fine for
over 30 hours, then ADSM crashed again.  Immediately after the ADSM
daemon failed, one could change to the logical volume and see both the
recovery log and the database.  Any attempts to restart the ADSM
server daemon were answered with a Paging error being reported in the
recovery log.  On advise of a
coworker, we rebooted the E450.  After rebooting the system, we are
completely unable to access the logical volume which contained the
database.  Attempting to change to the logical volume fails and reports
the volume as unmounted.

If it matters, the clients are HP UNIX workstations running either HP-UX
9.05 or 10.20.  The ADSM Client
software is either 2.1.0.5 or 3.1.0.6.

At this time, we have a call open with Sun's Software Support group and
are awaiting help from them.

In the mean time, if I can get some leads from this group, that would be
appreciated as well.

TIA
--
Mark Dyer