ADSM-L

Re: Security Issue - How to locate all copies of a file?

1998-12-21 09:49:34
Subject: Re: Security Issue - How to locate all copies of a file?
From: Ray Pratts <pratts AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:49:34 -0600
Wanda,

If you add an exclude statement for the file the next incremental backup
should expire the file.  Then run an expire inventory.  This should
remove all referneces to the file on the current database.  The once
your database backups and reusedelay have expired the file and any
reference to it will be completely gone.

Prather, Wanda wrote:

> I need (for security reasons) to identify all the tapes that contain backup
> versions of a particular file, and physically destroy/degauss the tapes.
>
> If I do "show volumeusage" for a node, it lists all the tapes containing
> files for that node IN THE PRIMARY TAPE POOL, but not the copy pools.
>
> The only thing I can think of, is to crank up the client, RESTORE a version
> of the file to identify the tape it is on, mark the tape as DESTROYED, and
> repeat the process until I identify all the tapes in the COPY pools.
>
> There's got to be a way to do this!
> We are ADSM V2 on AIX 4.2.1, about to convert to V3.
>
> Thanks
> Wanda Prather
> The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
> 443-778-8769
> wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu
>
> "Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
> Scott Adams/Dilbert

Ray Pratts              Pinnacle Computer Solutions Corp.
Ray Pratts              Pinnacle Computer Solutions Corp.
Tel. 281-893-3249       rpratts AT pinnaclecs DOT com