ADSM-L

Re: %Util vs %Migr

1998-12-18 13:09:24
Subject: Re: %Util vs %Migr
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:09:24 -0500
In <0055600006478916000002L062*@MHS>, on 12/18/98
   at 11:36 AM, "Moir,Betsy" <betsy.moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM> said:

>Thanks - I think this is going to help.  One other question - My server
>support guy (he's taking over from someone else here) wanted me to ask why
>you had decided to turn caching off.  He thinks caching seems to be a very
>good idea and he didn't get a very clear answer from his predecessor as to
>why she had turned it off.

>Thanks for your input.

Caching makes all activity on the diskpool take longer.  When migrating, an
extra entry is put in the database to track the cache copy, the real copy
now being on tape.  When backups are coming in from the clients, the server
must delete cache copies to free space for the new versions.

Balance this extra work against the benefit which would be faster restores.
If you are filling and emptying the diskpool each day, that is a very small
window to exploit the benefits of caching.

In version 1, IBM set the default for diskpools to cache=yes, but in v2 they
changed it to cache=no.  I think that says a lot about the value of cache.

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma.