ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:50:04

If he's that concerned about the security of the data, it should be encrypted at all times except when actually being displayed -- it certainly shouldn't be moved over the network (*any* network) in un-encrypted form. As such, this is not an ADSM issue - it's a data format issue.

Tom Kauffman
Sr. Technical Analyst
NIBCO, Inc

    -----Original Message-----
    From:   Lambelet,Rene,VEVEY,FC-SIL/INF. [SMTP:Rene.Lambelet AT NESTLE DOT COM]
    Sent:   Thursday, December 17, 1998 11:04 AM
    To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
    Subject:        Is data encrypted in storage pools?

    Hello,

    my boss gets very concerned about data security and the backups.
    Can anybody tell me if the adsm backups are encrypted or not when written
    onto tapes? We all know that compression is not secure enough.
    In other words, if somebody gets a cartridge containing backed-up files
    (storage pool), will he be able to read the data using a dump programm?

    If not encrypted, are there any plan to do it?

    Thanks a lot,

    Rene Lambelet
    Nestec SA - 55, Av. Nestle - CH-1800 Vevey
    Tel: ++41'21'924'35'43 / Fax: ++41'21'924'45'89
    E-Mail: rene.lambelet AT nestle DOT com