ADSM-L

Re: Stop changing Sol clients

1998-12-16 10:35:43
Subject: Re: Stop changing Sol clients
From: DAVID HENDRIX <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:35:43 -0700
Christian,

Correct, there was not a solaris "subdirectory".  solaris was  a link to
the sol25 or sol26 subdirectories (depending on the OS level you installed
to).  You removed the sol25/sol26 directories.  We have HA clusters running
the ADSM software and must set the DSM_XXXX environement variables.  V3
REQUIRED you set DSM_DIR to /opt/IBMadsm-c/sol25 or ../sol26.  Since you
put ../solaris there as a link to whichever, we used that for DSM_DIR.

All of the support wrapper scripts which we have written (starting the
scheduler daemons, restarting backups, restoring files, automated
installation) had to set these environment variables.  For HP and AIX, it
was very simple and very CONSISTENT.  If you look at the chronology of the
solaris client from V1 to V3, you'll see just how INCONSISTENT IBM has
been.

I would take it farther than changing things in PTFs.  Changing things from
version to version is not a good idea either.  All that it really entailed
for me was changing the environment variable file which sets these things.
And yet, now I have to maintain 3 different sets of these: 1 for an old
cluster that needs to stay at v2 for external reasons, 1 for pre 3.1.0.6
versions and 1 for 3.1.0.6.  Now if I have people who need to install this
software and they are building client configurations from a template
directory, they can shoot themselves in the foot trying to install if they
choose the wrong "version".  (I wont even go into changing the location of
dsm.opt and dsm.sys from /usr/sbin to /usr/bin).  NOTHING like this happens
on the other platforms.

This is not a show stopper issue, but I have been using solaris clients
since V1.  I overlooked this from v1->v2, then v2->v3.  Now, I guess since
no one complained about the inconsistency, you've started changing WITHIN
versions: 3.1.0.5->3.1.0.6.  Well, I'm complaining.  It's time for you guys
to figure it out once and for all and let it be.

Thanks,

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com

Christian Bolik <bolik AT DE.IBM DOT COM> on 12/16/98 06:18:52 AM