ADSM-L

Re: Storage pool DSNs

1998-12-15 13:59:57
Subject: Re: Storage pool DSNs
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:59:57 -0500
> Check out the PREFIX parameter of the DEFINE DEVCLASS
> command.
>
> Andy Raibeck

I take it the idea of the above suggestion is to define one device class for
volumes to be kept on-site and another device class for volumes to be vaulted.
The discussion of the MOUNTLIMIT parameter for DEVTYPE=3590 includes the
following statement:

You cannot share drives between device classes (that is, the sum of your mount
limits should not be more than the number of physical drives allocated to
ADSM).

Since the number of physical drives alllocated to ADSM is expected to be only
two, the suggested use of device classes is tantamount to telling me to set up
two device classes with one device each. I think this will subject my site to
the awkwardness of single drive reclamation. It will certainly limit our
flexibility in scheduling ADSM tape operations.