ADSM-L

Re: AIX ADSM PROBLEM

1998-12-11 08:32:26
Subject: Re: AIX ADSM PROBLEM
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 08:32:26 -0500
>I run the following commands on the server:
>BACKUP VOLHISTORY FILENAMES=3Dvolhistfilename and
>BACKUP DEVCONFIG FILENAMES=3Ddevconffilename.
>
>AIX creates both volhistfilename and devconffilename, and indicates the
>two files referred the time of the command running.
>
>The problem is that nothing is written to the files. They are completely
>empty.  By the way: The command completes "successfully"!
>
>Does anyone know that situation? Please let me know, if anyone
>knows how to solve the problem.

This might be the result of something like a disk quota problem in the file
system where you are trying to write the files, when you invoke the commands
from within a personal dsmadmc session.  Look for any dsmerror.log and try to
narrow the problem down.  (ADSM has historically not logged to the Activity
Log when such commands are issued, so there may be nothing there; but check to
be sure.)  And all ADSM commands complete "successfully" - some are just more
successful than others.

In any case, I would hope that you have VOLUMEHistory and DEVCONFig coded in
your dsmserv options file, and presumably with different file names.  With
the server running as root, I would expect that it would have no trouble
automatically creating and updating such files as it performs tasks.
Have a look for those files as further indication.
       Richard Sims, BU