ADSM-L

Re: Question on EXCLUDE.DIR

1998-12-08 23:06:54
Subject: Re: Question on EXCLUDE.DIR
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:06:54 -0700
"Brazner, Bob" wrote:
[excellent analysis of contradiction in manual deleted]

Bob,

I agree that the manual contradicts itself, but I think I understand how it is
designed, and thus what is wrong with the manual.

If you "re-write" the part of the manual talking about the asterisk to read:
<delete>Use it in the drive...do not use it in driectory name<\delete>
<insert>Do not use it to the left of a path separator character<\insert>

or, more to the point with respect to how ADSM views things:
<insert>You cannot use the asterisk (or any wildcard) when specifying the
high-level qualifier of an object, only use it for the low-level
qualifier<\insert>

In the exclude.dir statement, the object is a directory whose low-level
qualifier is the name of the directory in question, the high-level qualifier is
the part of the part starting after the filesystem mount point (Unix) and
ending with the directory in which the object exists.  In another
include/exclude statement where the object is a file, the high-level qualifier
still consists of a sequence of directoriy and subdirectory names, but now the
low-level qualifier is a file.  In both cases the wildcard can be used on the
low-level qualifier but not the high.

If the manual actually spoke in terms of low and high-level qualifiers, the way
the client logic is actually implemented, then it would be clear.  However,
since they don't and high-level qulifiers are always directories, they make the
mistake of stating that wildcards cannot be used for directories when really
they mean not for high-level qualifiers; the former is more restrictive than
the latter.

Cheers...
Bruce

--