ADSM-L

Re: Restored volume incomplete.

1998-12-07 13:06:21
Subject: Re: Restored volume incomplete.
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 13:06:21 -0500
By "offsite pool", do you mean another copy pool that ADSM knows about?

If so, you can check to see if the missing files are available in your
offsite pool.
You can enter the command:

        RESTORE VOLUME vol6 COPYstgpool=offsitepoolname PREVIEW=YES

This will show you (in the server activity log) which tapes to bring back
from your offsite pool.
Then you can enter the RESTORE VOLUME command again

        RESTORE VOLUME vol6 COPYstgpool

and let the restore run again, using the tapes you brought back from
offsite.

If the files are not available in the offsite tape pool, they are just lost
due to the bad tape.
To find out what is on that tape that has NOT been restored:

        Q CONTENT vol6

or from the ADMIN GUI, you can select vol6, pull down FILE, and then LIST
VOLUME CONTENTS TO FILE.
This will give you a list of the backup files on the tape, and the nodename
they came from.

Then delete the tape from your storage pool inventory with:

        DELETE VOLUME vol6 DISCARDDATA=YES

That cleans up the ADSM data base of all the entries pointing to
non-recoverable files.
NEVER use DISCARDDATA=YES EXCEPT in this circumstance - when you know the
files can never be retrieved, and you know there are no other copies
available.

Now, if the tape was in an automated library, run a CHECKOUT command to
remove the tape from the library inventory.

Then you're done.

Hope this helps some.
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert