ADSM-L

Re: WebShell client

1998-12-04 21:19:49
Subject: Re: WebShell client
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:19:49 -0800
Hello Eric,

Yes, you do need ADSM V3 to use the new Web Client. If you have version
3.1.2.1, the GRANT AUTHORITY command has been enhanced to address
items #4 and #5 that you mentioned. Do a HELP GRANT AUTHORITY
and you'll see a new privilege class, NODE, and new parameters
AUTHORITY=ACCESS and AUTHORITY=OWNER. There are also the NODE and
DOMAIN parameters that go along with these.

If you have a prior V3 server, you can still use the Web Client but you
need to specify the node name and password when prompted. The latest
server PTF allows an administrator to perform remote backups and
restores.

By the way, I should probably mention something about the ADSM
nomenclature: the new component is the Web Client, not Webshell
Client. From the good detail you provided I could tell which you
meant. However sometimes other posts to ADSM-L are not so clear;
for example, someone might post, "I just installed the ADSM
client and am having trouble getting the Webshell to work." This
can lead to unsure responses without more detail, especially if
they really mean the Web Client.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Hi ADSM-ers!
Today I downloaded the Win32 3.1.06 client so I could try the new WebShell
client. It looks very nice!!
However, if I click the restore button I receive two kind of errors. Most
of
the times I receive a TCP/IP communication error. I also received the error
"server code is down-level". Apparently you have to have a version 3
server.
:-(
According to the WebShell help the following persons are authorized to use
the WebShell to restore files:

1) An ADSM administrator who is defined as a system administrator for the
server to which the ADSM client is defined
2) An ADSM administrator who is defined as an unrestricted policy
administrator
3) An ADSM administrator who is policy administrator for the policy domain
to which the client is assigned
4) An ADSM administrator who has client access authority to the client
5) An ADSM administrator who has client owner authority to the client

I don't have any idea where you can grant a permission mentioned in 4 or 5!
My version 3.1.2.1 server (AIX) doesn't allow it either!
Does anybody know?
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon