ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli

1998-12-04 13:48:40
Subject: Re: Tivoli
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:48:40 -0500
>IBM-ers on the list!
>Please ignore these kind of messages and keep up the good work! There will
>always be people who are very hard to please.
>Sure, ADSM has some bugs, but is a product which is getting more and more
>options and features all the time, all of them implemented on user request.
>If you don't want to run into a small bug every now and then, you can always
>Kindest regards,
>Eric van Loon

Eric -

I understand your thoughts on this.  But too many customers are frustrated
with ADSMv3 quality, and ignoring frustrated customers is the last thing a
vendor should do.  Appreciate that many ADSM service providers get a lot of
grief when their many users practically revolt when the product either doesn't
work or is inconsistent from one maintenance level to another.  This puts a
lot of stress on the ADSM adminstrators and can cost a company a lot of money.
And it gets worse when dissatisfaction is so high that there is pressure to
move to another product.  ADSMv3 has been around for about a year now, and has
evidenced many problems, some of them small, but some of them as severe as
losing customer data.  The thing is that the problems seem endless, and that
jeopardizes product acceptance among both its users and service providers who
are frustratedly trying to depend upon this product for data assurance.  I've
talked to the ADSM Product Manager, and she understands the frustration and is
trying to put an end to the problems.  I appreciate the efforts going into
improving the situation and join you in encouraging the developers in their
work.  We've recently seen developer comments to the effect that they don't
want to release a fix until they are certain that it does all that it should
and has no detrimental side-effects; and that is very encouraging.

Customers aren't really very hard to please: If you give them a product which
does what it says it will do and has a positive effect upon their
organization, they will be more than happy...and they will enthusiastically
recommend the product and thus enhance its sales.  That's what we all want to
see.  And it can be done.  That's all we want.

     Richard Sims, BU