ADSM-L

Re: Some fun: ADSM Believe it or not!

1998-12-03 15:37:07
Subject: Re: Some fun: ADSM Believe it or not!
From: buser andreas <andreas.buser AT BASLER DOT CH>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 15:37:07 -0500
--- Begin Message ---
From: Andreas Buser <Andreas.Buser AT Basler DOT ch>
To: "lipp AT storsol DOT com" <lipp AT storsol DOT com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 08:43:44 -0500
A little amusement story of our our ADSM-Users.

One of our users had an OS/2-System running well which was relliably
backed up by ADSM day for day. One day he was forced to migrate to a new
Harware and Win95. Also this went well for a while. Then he decided to
him to restore his well beloved OS/2. I told him that this is possible
but that probably OS/2 could have problems because of the new Hardware.
We did the bare metall restore.

During the restore he said "Now we will see how ADSM works and if it is
his money worth!"

We restored everything and booted the restored OS/2 and got an eroor
because of missing drivers.

Very disapointed and sad the user asked why this does not work. I kindly
expalined him thas ADSM restored every bit he had saved, but ADSM is
"only" a BACKUP/SAVE-Tool and not an PC-Config/Install tool.

More or less convinced the user said:

"YES, I understand, what you explained to me, but I'm disapointed of
ADSM. I would have expected ADSM to do this for me(reconfig of
OS/2).....!!"

It is astonishing what users expect to get from ADSM. Maybe he sould
also be able to get coffee and I don't know what else.

So explain very well to your users what ADSM can and what it can NOT?
But even this does not help in every case, as seen above....

Kind Regards
Andreas Buser

Tel:  ++41 61 285 73 21    Fax: ++41 61 285 70 70

Email: Andreas.Buser AT Basler DOT ch

Address:
Basler Versicherungsgesellschaft
Andreas Buser