ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Virtual Tape Server

1998-12-03 08:23:41
Subject: Re: ADSM and Virtual Tape Server
From: buser andreas <andreas.buser AT BASLER DOT CH>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 08:23:41 -0500
We are also looking at VTS/VSM but not yet.

We sure will not route ADSM and DFHSM to VTS! The main Goal of VTS is to
"stack"
little files on tape to encrease Tape usage (TMM). But ADSM and DFHSM
are one of the best Tape users we have. They fill their Tapes! VTS only
emulates 3490E (800MB raw capacity), so you will have to manage a factor
of 10 and more of media.

Also ADSM and DFHSM know special blockpositioning for fast access of
Magstar.

During RECLAMATION or RECYLCLE at DFHSM in a VTS-Environement you first
have to destage data an a VTS tape to VTS-disk, rewrite it to another
dataset on VTS-disk and the stage it again to VTS-tape. Does this make
sense to waste disk-space, if ADSM and HSM do a good work without going
to Disk?

Kind Regards
Andreas Buser

Tel:  ++41 61 285 73 21    Fax: ++41 61 285 70 70

Email: Andreas.Buser AT Basler DOT ch

Address:
Basler Versicherungsgesellschaft
Andreas Buser