ADSM-L

Re: query occupancy for clients?

1998-12-02 13:51:32
Subject: Re: query occupancy for clients?
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:51:32 -0500
Jim,

Ben's note was incorrect.  I think he was confusing Q AUDITOCC with Q
FILESPACE.  In any case, Q OCC and Q AUDITOCC should return virtually the
same numbers.  The differences are that Q AUDITOCC requires an AUDIT
LICENSE to be run, and the numbers are current as of the time that the
AUDIT was run.  Q OCC, on the other hand, does not require an AUDIT LICENSE
to be run.  Furthermore, Q OCC breaks down the occupancy by storage pool,
whereas Q AUDITOCC does not.  Both Q AUDITOCC and Q OCC reflect the same
thing: the amount of ADSM storage used.

If you want to get some idea of compression, you can do the following:

Issue QUERY FILESPACE ...  to determine the size of a user's disk, the
percent utilization, and therefore the amount of data on the disk.  You can
compare that to the numbers returned by Q OCC (or Q AUDITOCC).  This will
give only a very rough estimate, and can be misleading in some cases.  This
is because of the following caveats:
Not all user data may be backed up (due to excludes),
Some data may have multiple backup copies (due to versioning of files),
Deleted files are kept in ADSM for some time.
For a filesystem that is fairly static and has most of its data backed up,
the numbers can be a fair indicator of compression.  On the other hand, for
a filesystem that changes frequently or has lots of excludes, the numbers
will be misleading.

..Paul