ADSM-L

Re: Roll forward recovery

1998-11-30 13:53:01
Subject: Re: Roll forward recovery
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 13:53:01 -0500
In <8FE5EA8B92FED11194D500805F312C19067C49 AT mxsjhb02.Transnet.co DOT za>, on
11/30/98
   at 10:41 AM, Moodley Desigan * Datavia <DesiganM AT TRANSNET.CO DOT ZA> said:

>Hello list members,

>We're running ADSM server version 3.1.2.0 on MVS OS 390. We recently
>changed our recovery log mode from normal to roll forward. We set a
>database backup trigger of 20%. When the log reached 20%, a full database
>backup is triggered. This usually happens about every 24 hours. After the
>backup, the recovery log percentage dropped to about 1%. This continued for
>about 4 days. However, during the weekend, the recovery log percentage did
>not drop after a database backup causing database backups to be triggered
>immediately after a successful backup. Here is an extract of the job log:

>ANR4550I Full database backup (process 530) complete, 2666266 pages copied.

>ANR0985I Process 530 for DATABASE BACKUP running in the BACKGROUND
>completed

>ANR0985I with completion state SUCCESS at 07:51:23.

>ANR4556W Warning: the database backup operation did not free sufficient

>ANR4556W recovery log space to lower utilization below the database backup

>ANR4556W trigger. The recovery log size may need to be increased.

>We were eventually forced to bounce ADSM to get the recovery log back down
>to 0.1 %. Here is the recovery log status:

>       Available Space (MB): 3,520
>     Assigned Capacity (MB): 3,520
>     Maximum Extension (MB): 0
>     Maximum Reduction (MB): 3,484
>          Page Size (bytes): 4,096
>         Total Usable Pages: 900,608
>                 Used Pages: 8,420
>                   Pct Util: 0.9
>              Max. Pct Util: 0.9
>           Physical Volumes: 4
>             Log Pool Pages: 512
>         Log Pool Pct. Util: 0.11
>         Log Pool Pct. Wait: 0.00
>Cumulative Consumption (MB): 125,835.95
>Consumption Reset Date/Time: 04/16/1998 09:07:19

>Here is our database status:

>Available Space (MB): 16,044
>        Assigned Capacity (MB): 15,004
>        Maximum Extension (MB): 1,040
>        Maximum Reduction (MB): 4,588
>             Page Size (bytes): 4,096
>            Total Usable Pages: 3,841,024
>                    Used Pages: 2,666,346
>                      Pct Util: 69.4
>                 Max. Pct Util: 69.4
>              Physical Volumes: 11
>             Buffer Pool Pages: 8,192
>         Total Buffer Requests: 10,998,632
>                Cache Hit Pct.: 99.15
>               Cache Wait Pct.: 0.00
>           Backup in Progress?: No
>    Type of Backup In Progress:
>  Incrementals Since Last Full: 2
>Changed Since Last Backup (MB): 39.00
>            Percentage Changed: 0.37
>Last Complete Backup Date/Time: 11/30/1998 08:34:27

>We are still running in roll forward mode. Can someone advise us as to
>whether we should keep going in roll forward mode or revert to normal mode.
>Also any advise as to how to manage roll forward mode will be appreciated.

>Thanks.

>Kind regards,
>Desigan Moodley
> [...]

I have had this problem a few times but I still use rollforward. The problem
is usually caused by a long running transaction or a hung session.  This can
prevent the log from shrinking after the backup.

If you have an automation product like netview, key off the
ANR4556W message to bump up the logfull% to stop the
loop of backups.  This may give the long backup time to complete.

You say that you trigger full backups, but your 'q db' says you have done 2
incrementals.  How are you doing the incrementals?

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge, Ma.