ADSM-L

Re[2]: Backing up mapped drives on NT node

1998-11-30 12:51:08
Subject: Re[2]: Backing up mapped drives on NT node
From: ALLEN BARTH <abarth AT KEMPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:51:08 -0600
     FYI - regarding below:

     There is a V3 GUI problem regarding the backing up/restoring of
     netware drive spaces mapped to NT/95 drive letters.  The GUI won't
     display folders past the volume level.  Support has taken APAR
     #IC22610 out on this.  However, support claims that the command line
     works fine, but I haven't verified that.

     Regards,
     Al Barth - Scudder Kemper Investments

Author:  Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA> at ~internet
Date:    10/29/98 9:25 AM

Hi,

Yes, I have. I've also backed up Novell boxes mapped to a Win95
machines - also not for using less licenses but the ADSM for Novell
had some kind of problem where we could backup data but not restore
it. (That was way back when version 2 just came out!). I've seen the process
work on NT machines with mapped network drives and it works fine.
There are a few things you should keep in mind though:
1) Make sure the drive is always mapped to the same drive letter, otherwise
you will end up backing up data you already have because the mapping
changed.
2) Your domain statement should specify these drives - By default only local
disks are backed up.
3) Remember that you are doubling network overhead - pulling data across
your network (the mapped drive), and then pushing it across the same network
to ADSM.

     <snip>