ADSM-L

Re: Restore Volume vs. Restore Stgpool

1998-11-26 02:15:55
Subject: Re: Restore Volume vs. Restore Stgpool
From: Peter Gathercole <peter.gathercole AT VIRGIN DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 07:15:55 +0000
Sorry to jump on the band wagon, but I have always thought that putting a tape
that has just been replaced by this method back into the scratch pool is a shade
dangerous. It is fairly safe to assume that if a tape has been marked destroyed,
then you (the administrator) would probably prefer the tape not to be used. So
why make it a scratch volume again, and run the risk of ADSM choosing to try to
use the tape again (I know this happens, as I have seen it!) I feel that it
would
be better to leave the tape in the storage pool it was in, with a new state,
such
as "Replaced". The administrator could then remove the tape at theit leisure.

Peter Gathercole
Open Systems Administrator