ADSM-L

Re: (DRM) Managing offsite tapes

1998-11-25 13:54:06
Subject: Re: (DRM) Managing offsite tapes
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:54:06 -0500
I'm not sure this will help you, because I'm not sure I understand your
problems.
I also am working with ADSM on AIX hosts, not NT, so there may be something
I"m missing here.
I am also assuming that you are running the 9730 with the ADSM SCSI drivers.

But if this doesn't answer your questions, maybe you can make your questions
more specific:

1) TO get a list of tapes to be returned:
        Q DRMEDIA WHEREST=VAULTRETRIEVE

All you have to do is to pipe the output of that command into a file, and
that IS the list of tapes that should be returned from the vault.
The ADSM V3 admin ref, Chap. 3, explains how to invoke the dsmadmc command
from an OS prompt and redirect output into a file.

2) Q DRMEDIA WHEREST=COURRIERRETRIEVE cmd=  cmdfile=
You can use this to generate a list of the tapes to be checked in AND send
them to a file AND format the output into the appropriate CHECKIN command!
Then just execute the generated file as a macro.

Another alternative for CHECKIN with an automated SCSI libary is this:

        CHECKIN LIBV xxxxx SEARCH=BULK STATUS=SCRATCH CHECKLABEL=BARCODE

SEARCH=YES causes ADSM to search the library for anything that hasn't been
checked in already and check it in.
SEARCH=BULK causes ADSM to search the I/O port for anything that hasn't been
checked in already and check it in.
ADSM just uses the barcodes for the checkin, so you don't really have to
care about getting the right VOLSERS into the checkin command!

3)  LABEL LIBV xxx SEARCH=YES LABELSOURCE=BARCODE CHECKIN=SCRATCH
ADSM will check everything in the libary, using the barcodes, and write
labels matching the barcodes, without having to enter any REPLYs.

Also note there is now a BULK option on both CHECKIN and CHECKOUT.
That causes ADSM to CHECKIN or EJECT tapes without issuing REPLY's.

BULK is a new option, if you have the older documentation BULK may not be in
it, check the version of the ADMIN REF that is available on the web site.

Hope this helps some...
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert

.