ADSM-L

Re: Replying to e-mails

1998-11-25 06:08:16
Subject: Re: Replying to e-mails
From: Bernd Dammann <bernd AT FKI.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:08:16 +0100
Joel,

On Nov 24,  9:58am, Joel Fuhrman wrote:
> Subject: Re: Replying to e-mails
> I don't understand the problem.  You only have to read the new part.

I can see that you don't understand the problem, otherwise you wouldn't
have included Richard's message at the end.  For a better understanding,
read Richard's mail again, and maybe my posting from yesterday, too.

> Since most mail clients used on this list put the new part at the top, it
> very easy to skip the part you don't want.

Sometimes I have the feeling that people are to lazy to change the
auto-include function of their mail client.  Or they don't know how to
change it.

But why including a whole message anyway?  It was sent to the list
before, presumably with the same subject line.  It is in the list
archives.  Including it wastes bandwidth, disk space, ...   And as I
said before:  As a subscriber to the digest, I am seeing the same lines
again, and again, and ...  It is not like a single mail, where you can
skip the rest.  And not every mail client has a builtin 'undigest'
feature, that allows to split the digest into its original postings.

To comment on Richard's posting:

> > The whole efficiency of ADSM is in its incremental approach.  Let's adhere
> > that same approach as we employ ADSM-L mailings.
> >
> >      Richard Sims, BU

Very good point!

Regards,
Bernd Dammann