ADSM-L

Why are tape mounts being requested?

1998-11-20 11:19:15
Subject: Why are tape mounts being requested?
From: "Nichols, Linnea" <linnea.nichols AT CO.FAIRFAX.VA DOT US>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:19:15 -0500
I'm pulling my hair out over this one and hope someone can help.
I am getting tape mounts at night while clients are backing up and
can't figure out why. I'm running the MVS server at 3.1.2. I'm doing a
"query process" every hour, and it shows that there are no processes
running. At the time the tape mounts occur, migration thresholds are
set to 95 80, and there are no migration messages appearing. Space
reclamation on both my onsite tape and copy tape pools are much
earlier, and are to be completed 4 to 5 hours earlier than these tape
mounts occur. All of my "maximum size file" limits on my storage pools
show as "no limit".

From doing a "q content" and "q vol" on the tapes, it looks like the
backups from some of my clients are going directly to my tape
pool, and NOT to my DASD pool, but for the life of me, I can't
figure out why!!

Am I doing something wrong or something stupid? Or should I log
this as a problem with IBM support?

Linnea Nichols

Fairfax Co. Govt, Fairfax, VA    Linnea.Nichols AT co.fairfax.va DOT us
Phone:703/324-2708                FAX: 703/324-3931