ADSM-L

Re: VM server 2.1.0.17 - performance when deleting tape volumes

1998-11-20 03:41:44
Subject: Re: VM server 2.1.0.17 - performance when deleting tape volumes
From: Andreas Peikert <apeikert AT AMADEUS DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:41:44 +0100
> You should be trimming down - rather than deleting - the
> Volume History File. Look at the ADSM subcommand DELETE
> VOLHISTORY TODATE=<date> to delete only the old parts of
> it. This command can be run by a scheduler to control
> the size of the file automatically.

That's what I did - sorry for not pointing this out. I used
the DELETE VOLHISTORY TODATE=TODAY-5 to get to the new number
of records I have now. I have set up a schedule to do the
DELETE VOLHISTORY TODATE=TODAY-5 TYPE=ALL now daily (BTW, the
internal admin schedules of the VM 2.1 server have a slight
oddity: Once these don't run for an unknown reason, these
won't run again until the ADSM server is re-started ... IBM
knows, but hasn't spent the time to fix that).

Is there a way to keep all STGNEW records as long as the
volume is in use? No - there is no way.
I just see the option to delete by date, not by usage. For
what reason are the EXPORT, STGNEW, STGREUSE and STGDELETE
records in the VOLHIST, if I can't keep these as long as a
volume lives (some archive tape volumes do so for > 1 year)?
I must have missed something - or is the VOLHIST just there
to have a record of the volumes between database backups on
top of the DB log?

Best regards

Andreas Peikert, Systems Programmer
   aMaDEUS Data Processing GmbH