ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:51:04
We have an STK9710 with 6 DLT7000 drives attached to an ADSM/NT Server -
very satisfied...using it about a year...

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Adam Slesinger [SMTP:aslesinger AT US.BNSMC DOT COM]
        Sent:   Wednesday, November 18, 1998 4:00 PM
        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        Subject:        Battle over STK vs IBM

        Fellow adsmers,

            Hello there.  We installed adsm (3.1.1.5 on AIX) this last
summer
        using a STK9730 automated DLT tape library and I was given the
        responsibility to make it work.  My job has been a living hell ever
        since. Out of nowhere, I/O errors appeared, became worse, and it has
        gotten to the point where I cannot do any operation that requires
the
        tape drive.  In the beginning, I protested the idea of buying a tape
        drive from a different vendor.  It just makes sense to go with both
IBM
        software and hardware. For the past 4 months, IBM has been telling
me
        that these problems we've been encountering are a hardware issue,
and
        STK firmly believes that they're a software problem!!!  We tried
        everything from replacing SSCI cards to upgrading microcode on the
        drives, but all to no avail.
            Now, I have to go to upper management and try and explain why we
        should return this STK9730 and replace it with an IBM product, such
as a
        Magstar. If there is anyone out there who has had similar
compatibility,
        performance, or reliability problems with either STK devices or DLT
        tapes, your stories and input would be most appreciated.  I need to
        build up a good argument for the guys upstairs.
            Thank you very much in advance,

        adam
        aslesinger AT us.bnsmc DOT com