ADSM-L

Re: IC21338 ANS9178E: cannot open file .... dsmmigfstab

1998-11-18 13:13:31
Subject: Re: IC21338 ANS9178E: cannot open file .... dsmmigfstab
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:13:31 -0800
We have attempted to implement this fix, however, given the
terseness of the suggestion in the APAR, it is not a complete
fix.

By default, /etc/adsm is owned by root, with permissions set to
700. This makes perfect sense, because that is where encrypted
passwords are stored, and allowing access to that directory to
other users would create a potential security hole.

The APAR does not recommend what permissions should be set
for the child directories, or the file, but the 700 on /etc/adsm
makes the issue moot. No matter what the permissions are set to,
however, the file will never be accessible by a non-root user.

This may not seem to be a problem since the scheduler
process runs as root. For whatever reason, though, the B/A client
also attempts to read this file prior to processing an archive
request. This means that ADSM will create an entry in the
dsmerror.log for every file that is archived by a non-root user.
Since we archive tens of thousands of files per day, this is
not an acceptable situation. Two days ago the root filesystem on
one of our production fileservers reached 100% full because the
dsmerror.log had grown to several hundred megabytes. This could
have easily caused a system crash on a critical system because of
what would seem, at first glance, as a "minor" problem.

If this is to be fixed in PTF6, this will be a six-month
turnaround to fix what appears to be an extremely minor bug. Why
wasn't this picked up and fixed in PTF5?

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks Feature Animation
tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com