ADSM-L

I/O errors with EXABYTE 8900 tape drive

1998-11-13 05:37:29
Subject: I/O errors with EXABYTE 8900 tape drive
From: Dirk De Smet <dds AT SKILLTEAM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:37:29 +0100
Hello,

We have an IBM PC Server 500 installed with OS/2 Warp 4
with Fixpak 8. Installed inside the server is a MCA SCSI-2 F/W adapter from
which a Exabyte 8900 8mm tape drive is connected.  Our problem is, despite
having the latest ADSM for OS/2 fixpak installed (IP21355) whenever we
attempt
to define the drive to a library an I/O error occurs.  The ADSMSDI utility
correctly identifies the drive, and, if I install the Sytos Premium
application, the tape drive works perfectly with that application.  We have
tried connecting another tape drive off the 8900 (in this case an IBM 4336
4mm
drive) and ADSMSDI correctly identifies both drives, allows the 4mm drive
to be
defined but not the 8900.  We have tried the drive on a different PC
system,
different level of OS/2, different fix pak levels on both OS/2 and ADSM but
with the same result.

At the moment, I believe the problem could well be located to either the
OS/2
SCSI sub-system or the ADSM tape driver but I am open to ideas.  Basically,
would like to get the ADSM talking to the drive as soon as possible.  If
you
have any ideas, advice, or whatever, I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks.