ADSM-L

[no subject]

From: Larry Chisesi [SMTP:lchisesi AT COCOMP DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Thank you for this Nancy.  Is NT one of the platforms that supports this? I
don't
see a user option in the NT client docs for Set Access.

I think more of the point is that on file servers that support Intel
desktop end
users,  there is a need for the desktop end user to see what has been
backed up or
archived for him and to let him/her restore or retrieve to their home
directory
without getting an administrator in the way and without giving them login's
into
the client platform itself.  So, on NT, for example I know I can telnet
(with a 3rd
party product, or PCAnywhere) into the NT server from my desktop and run
dsmc
restore, but I don't want hundreds of users doing this.    Not everyone
wants to
let users log into NT or Netware servers for services other than print and
file
sharing.   It is impossible to do this under Netware, you are not going to
give
remote console access to users so that they could run "load dsmc restore".

It would be interesting to learn the future direction of ADSM on this.

Larry Chisesi
CoComp Technical Services

Nancy Young wrote:

> Fredrik Lundholm wrote:
>
> >"Another thing is that I still haven't grasped is how to let each user
> >restore his own files on the fileserver.. It seems that IBM has a
seriously
> >screwed picture on how to differentiate between client machines and
users. :)"

> For multiuser systems such as UNIX, you may use the DSMC SET ACCESS
command to
> authorize another user on the same ADSM client system.  For example, if
you use
> the ROOT user to backup all /home directories on MACHINE1 with ADSM node
name
> of MACHINE1 but you would like to allow user KAREN to restore her files
> residing under /home/karen, you could invoke
>
>     DSMC SET ACCESS "/home/karen/*" MACHINE1 KAREN
>
> to grant Karen the access of the files in /home/karen/ that ROOT backed
up.

> Karen could log in and invoke DSMC  RESTORE to restore her files in the
> /home/karen directory.
>
> Instead of command line, you may also use the GUI - under Utilities, use
the
> USER ACCESS LIST to grant access to another user and ACCESS ANOTHER USER
> access files that are backed up/owned by another user.
>
> Regards,
> Nancy Young
>
> Email: youngny AT us.ibm DOT com
>
> ###  Find the latest ADSM information at http://www.storage.ibm.com/ADSM