ADSM-L

Re: Should I buy Magstar or DLT ..??

1998-11-12 08:48:42
Subject: Re: Should I buy Magstar or DLT ..??
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:48:42 -0500
> So, for applications where you need to move a lot of data (disk to tape
> migration and stg pool backup) perhaps Magstar wins.

I tried DLT7000's about 2 years ago, and had to dump them in favor of
Magstar-MP's.  The DLT's had lots of problems reading the data they wrote
on the tapes, which is not good for backup/recovery.  I have been using
DLT4000's for 4-5 years, and have had lots of problems with the drive's
internal tape leader becomeing "unthreaded".

As for performance, the Magstar-MP's are optimized for start-stop actions,
and that is much of what ADSM will do to a drive.  DLT is optimized for
data streaming.  In my experience, Magstar beat DLT hands down in both
modes.

I got tons of calibration errors on the DLT7000's.  Quantum took my
BreeceHill Q7 to their labs to recreate the problem, but I never heard
back from them, as I got rid of them.

If we had the budget for them, I would buy 3590's in a 3494.  The 3575's
with 3570-C1A drives are a nice, cheaper alternative.  I just which the
tape capacities would double (10-30GB).  For me, more than 30GB on a tape
can become a liability.

All of the above is MVHO...

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,