ADSM-L

ADSM SERVER 3.1.2.0 Upgrade Experience

1998-11-12 03:39:27
Subject: ADSM SERVER 3.1.2.0 Upgrade Experience
From: Roig Georges <Georges.Roig AT UNICIBLE DOT CH>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:39:27 +0100
Environment:
AIX 4.1.5
ADSM Server 3.1.1.0
250 clients NT & Unix

Today, I upgraded my acceptance ADSM Server 3.1.1.0 in 3.1.2.0 and I was
very surprised about the following:

1. The installp command failed with the message:
   "0503-423 installp:  Fileset adsm.server.util 3.1.2.0 was not found in
the status file.
        This could be caused by an internal error within the
        installation scripts or could be caused by using Ctrl-c
        to interrupt the installation processing."

    The same message for the filesets adsm.server.gif and adsm.devices.rte

    I installed this filesets separately as a customer suggested a few
weeks ago.
    It worked.

2. The "upgradedb" did not start automatically!!!

3. In the previous version I disabled 600 UserExit Events, but with the
   upgrade I lost all of them. I had to restart the script I used to
disable
   the events.

4. When I started the script to disable the events (that I used a lot of
times
    with the version 3.1.1.0), just after the 490th sessions, ADSM hanged.
   The only solution was "kill -9"!! I started 3 times the script, and
every
   time it was the same.

5. I started the script q_scratch_stg (that comes with this new ADSM
Version)
     with the ADSM run command, and ADSM crashed immediately!!!!
     I tried 2 times this command, and each time the result was the same.

6. When I wanted to restore a file in my environment with ADSM client
   I coudn't do it because the ADSM Server upgrade modified the dsm.opt
   file as follows:
     "Servername  localSrv" (I had "Servername  ADSM2" before)
     "virtualnode client" (I didn't have this parameter before)

   I decided to stop the tests because I think it's wiser not to
   upgrade my Production Environment for the moment.

Best Regards
Georges