ADSM-L

Restore fails when files to send are selected by server (NT-clien t)

1998-11-11 03:34:39
Subject: Restore fails when files to send are selected by server (NT-clien t)
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:34:39 +0100
Hi ADSM gurus,

Since V3 there is a new functionality in ADSM to save time: You enter a
restore command which does not depend on the client, the server does the
selection of files on its own und just sends them to the client (this
feature has a name but I forgot).
The feature seems to have two problems:
1. It seems to be much slower instead of faster: When I put int the "-pick"
option I get the result nearly instantly, select all and do the restore,
total time was 40 seconds for the restore. Without "-pick" it took 2 minutes
just to start.
2. Restore fails because paths do not exist: Usually the files get sorted by
cartridges to avoid unnecessary doubled mounts of media. Unfortunately ADSM
includes the directories into this sorting, too. So the directory gets
restored after its contents, now the contents are to be written into a
nonexisting directory and ADSM fails.

Is there a known solution for this behaviour?

(Our Server: MVS, Server Version 3, Release 1, Level 1.2,
our client: Command Line Backup Client Interface - Version 3, Release 1,
Level 0.5 L)

Thanks for any hints,
regards,
Michael