ADSM-L

Re: idlew

1998-11-10 03:48:08
Subject: Re: idlew
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 02:48:08 -0600
     This could  be a catch-22  first realize what idle wait time is...
     Idle wait time works out to be time that the server is waiting on the
     client to initiate the next transaction (for lack of a better term)
     So if the client is sending a 2GB file, the time between packets
     received by the server (that make up the 2GB file) is RECEIVE-WAIT,
     the time the server is processing a received packet is
     COMMUNICATION-WAIT (or time spent managing packet collision) but if
     the client is sending (or getting ready to) 100 - half KB files the
     time that the client is reading those little files and getting them
     ready to send is IDLE-WAIT... the time the client is calculating "what
     to send" is IDLE-WAIT... the time a client is compressing and creating
     a bundle of files to send is IDLE-WAIT
     (OK and I might be a little off on my definitions above but it is
     02:00 am !)  What I'm trying to stress is idle-wait isn't necessarily
     a bad thing!
     example:

Task       Sessions         CommKB  Cumulative Sec     Idle sec   Comm sec
41 Totals       150     11,434,029      73,791           671       73,075
53 Totals       150     11,440,573      71,842           642       71,159
68 Totals       150     67,868,395      75,709           310       75,200
79 Totals       150     67,868,395     122,437           195      122,030
85 Totals       150     67,868,423     101,171           178       99,665
89 Totals       150     67,868,418      99,117           184       97,533

Basically the above tasks were all archiving the exact same data base (minor
activity between tasks which account for the slight variation in CommKB)  if
you notice the two with the GREATEST "Idle Sec" moved the least data in the
shortest times (cumulative session seconds), these two tasks were with client
compression!  The other activities were with variations in # of concurrent
archive tasks, a single or multiple fddi interfaces, etc...
So... like I said "Idle wait ain't necessarily bad"
ALSO don't fall into the KB/sec trap... the worst KB/sec (when calculated) were
the ones running compression BUT END USER FILE SPACE WAS THE SAME IN ALL TASKS
SO the *BEST* KB/sec (end user file space) looks like the worst runs in the
above listing.  (GOD it took me forever to drive that home with folks!)
anyway, best of luck to you
later,
    Dwight