ADSM-L

Re: ADSM NT Disaster Restore Testing

1998-11-09 23:14:30
Subject: Re: ADSM NT Disaster Restore Testing
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 21:14:30 -0700
We ran into that exact problem...check your activity log and you may see
errors about bitfiles.  After reporting this to IBM the end result, from
the design/development team, was that ADSM was working as designed.  We
told them that we'd rather have the restore fail to restore files that
don't have copies (with appropriate error messages) than fail
completely.  Our Canadian level-two ADSM support agreed with us but were
told to submit it as a 'feature'-request.

The official ADSM way to do this would be to mark the primary tapes as
destroyed, run 'restore vol X preview=yes' to find out what copy tapes
are needed (looking in the activity log for error messages about
off-site copy tapes), bring the copy tapes on-site, run the 'restore vol
X' for real for each of the primary tapes.  As files are restored to new
primary stgpool volumes, the references for them on the 'destroyed'
volumes is removed.  At the end of the restore, the files that have no
copies will remain on the tapes.  At that point you can delete the
volumes with discarddata=yes and then the client restore will be able to
proceed.  Actually, I may be wrong in that when the 'restore volumes'
process finishes the no-copy files may automatically be removed and the
volumes deleted.

As you can see, you have to go through a lengthy volume-restore before
you can proceed with you client restore.  We didn't find that too
acceptable.  This problem affects both v2 and v3.

Cheers...