ADSM-L

Re: backups to tape and buta

1998-11-09 12:13:29
Subject: Re: backups to tape and buta
From: "J. O'Neall" <oneall AT IN2P3 DOT FR>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 18:13:29 +0100
Mathew said:

||I'm not sure how Buta fits into this, not having used it but it
|sounds like you have migpr (number of migration processes) for the
|storage pool set to 5, hence ADSM using 5 drives for migration.

No.  The max number of mounts for the device class is 5, but the number of
migration processes for the disk storage pool is 1.  Indeed, in the activity
log (which we save every day, with time stamps!), one sees THE migration
process starting 15 minutes or so after the backups and finishing a couple
of minutes after all the backups, 5 hours later.

Thanks for trying.

|As to the tapes still being mounted after two mins, If you had
|just done a backup and the migration threshold was overrun then
|ADSM will be using those two tapes for migration. If they are just
|sitting there doing nothing

That is indeed the case.  I should point out that buta is an interface to
the AFS backup system.  It connects to ADSM as a client node.  The
difference is that is remains connected as a client even after backups are
finished.  The only way I can find to stop it is to kill the process.

|Matthew.

Thanks for the help.  John