ADSM-L

Re: ADSM or Veritas

1998-11-09 07:02:48
Subject: Re: ADSM or Veritas
From: Matthew Large <adsmmainz AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 04:02:48 PST
Peter,

In a contest between ADSM and NetBackup, I would put money on ADSM. I
have had experience of Veritas, and although the backups are alot
faster, due to the multiplexing of files, it requires more management
and control to keep track of tapes and such. Of course ADSM is
completely automated making it easier to administer.

Having just referred to one of the infamous redbooks, Oracle8 can be
backed up incrementally. I have heard rumours of encryption being
implemented, possibly in V4, but don't hold your breath!

I prefer ADSM, because I'm lazy, and expect the computer to do all of it
because it can, but if you have fairly simple backup requirements, and
an enormous database, do Veritas.

Good luck!

Matthew Large
ADSM support, Mainz