ADSM-L

Re: exchange agent configuration

2015-10-04 17:51:03
Subject: Re: exchange agent configuration
From: Del Hoobler [mailto:hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Sri,

Did you see my earlier response to your question?
(I have added it below, if you did not see it.)

Any of the objects that won't fit into your disk storage pool
will be sent to the next storage pool up.

Your production Exchange server has much larger "objects" than
your test Exchange server, so it makes sense that the test
server objects will fit into the disk pool while the production
server objects will not fit, and thus be sent to the
next storage pool.

The ADSM server will not stage pieces of backup objects to disk.
The WHOLE object MUST fit into the storage pool in order
for it to be utilized.

If I did not answer your question, please let me know.

Here is my earlier response in case you missed it:
Sri,

You are correct in that the Exchange Agent will send up the
Information Store database in more than one object.
However, these object are NOT the same size.
The objects it sends up for the Information Store are:
1.) PUB.EDB, 2.) PRIV.EDB 3.) All log + patch files
and 4.) A "Header" Object. These are sent up as
individual objects within the same ADSM transaction.
So, most likely, either the PUB.EDB or the PRIV.EDB is
going to be the large object...even bigger than your 8G.

If there is less than 17G in your disk storage pool then
it will only send the individual objects that will fit into that
disk storage pool.  Any individual object that will not fit
will be sent to the next storage pool.  This is normal
ADSM stuff.  If you want to stage all of it to disk,
you will have to add space to your disk storage pool.

From what I understand, going to tape doesn't have
to be "degraded" performance. But, this is out of my area
of expertise, so I cannot expand on this.
(I have heard some tape (3590?) can be faster than disk...)

-------------------------
Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM ADSM Agent Development
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

I am just reframing  my query just in case , My configuration is tested with
a test server in this domain. The destination pool is correctly configured
as the diskpool. In the test case it works fine by utilizing the diskpool.
However when I include the production exchange server in the same domain
configuration , It fails to use the diskpool and starts using the secondary
storage pool. My information store on the production server is very large
than the diskpool.
I wish to benefit from users having exchange agent.

do I necessarily have to increase the diskpool to the size of the
information store to be utilized?

sincere regards

sri