ADSM-L

Re: dectecting bad tapes

1998-11-04 17:03:09
Subject: Re: dectecting bad tapes
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 11:03:09 +1300
>      How can I be proactive in detecting bad tapes before they can go bad.
>      I the any way that adsm can tell me that it is time to replace this
>      tape.

Scan the activity log messages for "write error" and "read error".

The reclaim process will re-read all of the tape contents and copy it
to a fresh tape.

You can also do an "audit volume" that will read the contents and
detect tape errors.  ADSM keeps track of the last time a tape was read
from and written to.  You can set up a job that looks for tapes that
have not been read for a long time and audit it.  Or have a seperate
list of last audited time and work through the tape pool Least
Recently Used.

If you have set up copy storage pool to mirror your tapes, then you
have additional protection from damaged tapes.  With a copy pool you
can rebuild the original tape or files that are now unreadable.

With no copy pool, if the lost file was still active ADSM will re back
it up.  If it is inactive, it is lost permanently.

Russell