ADSM-L

Re: Network data transfer rate

1998-11-04 10:02:23
Subject: Re: Network data transfer rate
From: "Eggert, Randall" <REggert AT WIS.TWC DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 09:02:23 -0600
Increased buffers on our nodes made a difference in transfer speeds.  The
figures below seem to contradict our site's configurations.  If you do a "no
-a" on your ADSM server's node, how does it compare on these specifics with
the figures you provided below.
the figures you provided below.

Are all 3 nodes on the same LAN as mentioned below?  We had our ADSM server
node on a FDDI ring, and one of our ADSM client's node on a 100mb ethernet
ring.  Each is very fast, but transferring the data through a LAN switch or
router slowed the aggregrate rate to less than a 10mb ethernet rate.  We
eventually added a FDDI card to the server and connected it directly to the
FDDI ring, thus the ADSM server node was connected to two networks, and
changed the dsm.opt file so the server name would utilize the route through
the faster path.

Since your transfer rate is horrendiously slow, if you haven't already,
activate compression on your slow node.  After you and your network people
figure out your problem, experiment with compression to see how it affects
your throughput.