ADSM-L

DLT tapes: how old is old?

1998-11-03 11:29:21
Subject: DLT tapes: how old is old?
From: Pat Wilson <paw AT NORTHSTAR.DARTMOUTH DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 11:29:21 -0500
[ I could have sworn I'd seen something about this already, but
  can't find it in the archives... ]

I've set up a scheme where the first backup of any machine (these are
multi-GB Unix servers, and I dump the whole OS) goes directly to my tape
pool, which means I've got a few tapes sitting around that don't have a lot
of reclaimable space on them.  What's your feeling on how long those tapes
should go before I recycle them (by doing a "move data", I guess)?
Naturally, the primary and copypool data is pretty much in the same state
(the copypool tapes are aging and not being freed up, either)...

Thanks.

Pat Wilson
paw AT dartmouth DOT edu