ADSM-L

Re: DB storage/performance question ADSM or Legato?

1998-11-01 20:12:31
Subject: Re: DB storage/performance question ADSM or Legato?
From: Andrew Swift <Andrew.Swift AT CENTRAL.COLESMYER.COM DOT AU>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:12:31 +1100
Hello Ben,

the network does not have to be the bottleneck.
You could run client compression, and shift the bottleneck to your oracle
servers, where
performance would then be limited by either the efficiency of the
compression algorithm and its
CPU overhead, or the speed at which you can extract data from the disk.
Oracle's EBU allows multithreading to maximise disk throughput.
ADSM privides the client compression (a little inefficient tho .. null block
compression would be better).

Generally, however, as your data increases, and backup windows decrease, the
subsequent expense
in infrastructure to meet requirements also increases. ATM would be nicer
than 100BT. A reasonably sized
ADSM disk pool would also help.

Good luck
Andrew Swift