ADSM-L

Re: Long filenames vs. 8.3 filenames

1998-10-30 04:31:36
Subject: Re: Long filenames vs. 8.3 filenames
From: Simon Watson <Simon.S.Watson AT OPENMAIL.FIC32.BSPSER.SIMIS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 17:31:36 +0800
Guys,

I am no expert here as I am lucky enough to use Windows NT (and have no
real knowledge of 95) but I imagine if you restore the files first, and
therefore new 8.3 names are assigned (and updated in the registry), and
then restore the registry(which has old mapping) then you will have a
problem.  However if you restore registry first, then when the
directories are recreated it will use mapping already in the registry
or update it anyway.

REGREST will just restore the registry and would play no role in making
sure it matches with other changes you have made to the system since
this copy of the registry was in use.

My guess is do REGREST first & you will have no problem.

Many (older) applications only know about 8.3 filenames so in some
cases you will have no choice, like our MS Mail client on NT.

Cheers,
Simon