ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and n-way RS/6000's

1998-10-28 16:16:02
Subject: Re: ADSM and n-way RS/6000's
From: Alan White <arw AT TIPPER.DEMON.CO DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:16:02 -0000
Andy

>We are planning to install an RS/6000 to support our growing ADSM
>system.  I was wondering how well ADSM on the RS/6000 takes advantage of
>n-way SMP systems?  What size systems are people using?  We back up
>about 80-100GB per night.  Thanks.

Any model in the H50 range, i.e. F50, SP Silver nodes represent the best
VFM. Depends really how quick you want to get the 80-100GB done. The ADSM
server code is multi-threaded and takes advantage of the multiple CPU
architectures - I had heard (rumour and conjecture) that more than 4 CPUs is
not optimal - anyone else heard this? Always buy PCI based machines - not
MCA for better throughput - especially from SSA adapters.

Regards
Alan