ADSM-L

"Home_made" Disaster Protection

1998-10-29 05:24:19
Subject: "Home_made" Disaster Protection
From: Riccardo Corona <rcorona AT ESOC.ESA DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:24:19 +0100
Hi there.

For Disaster recovery   my boss is asking me to bring offsite  tapes from a
primary stgpool.
This stgpool ( about 150 Tapes ) is used only for archive on Sunday  and no
retrieves are normally performed  from it.
Of course he doesn't like waste 150 more  tapes to create a Copy stgpool
just for the offsite  copy.

What about if we do the following:

Update the stgpool  so that tape reclamation doesn't occur on this stgpool.
On Monday: Backup the adsm Database.  Move offsite the tapes used for the
Archive and the db backup tape.
Save the  important   files:  devconfig, volhist and dsmserv.opt
From time to time bring the 'almost empty'  tapes back into the library and
run move data  to make them free and reusable.

Any suggestion to improve or discard this idea will be greatly appreciated.