ADSM-L

API Buffer Size?

1998-10-28 16:35:29
Subject: API Buffer Size?
From: DAVID HENDRIX <dmhendri AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:35:29 -0700
The config:

3.1.2.0 Solaris ADSM server (eval version)
3.1.0.5 Solaris Client
Sun 10000 running Solaris 2.6
Latest atl and atdd drivers for 3590/3494
12 3590s in two 3494 libraries
adsmpipe
Tuned according to V3 tuning guide and my admin experience.

This is a feasibiltity test for raw device backup on a warehouse
application (2.3TB).  Preliminary testing with both TCP/IP using localhost
and sharedmem are inconclusive - neither outperforms the other.  We have
yest to test this on a quiesed system (we normally back it up with no other
processes running).

Questions:

1. Will increasing the BUFFER_SIZE in adsmblib help my throughput
(currently ~6MB/sec/stream)?  Currently at 256K.

2. Does the uselargebuffer apply to API sessions to the 3.1.2 server - on
the server side that is?

3. I assume uselargebuffer (largecommbuffers or whatever) in the client
options only affects the B/A client - not the API?

4. The 3590 blocks at 256K, will a large buffer (like 1MB) through
sharedmem get better streaming?  Does the API use pointers instead of
memory moves for shared memory protocol (so I don't beat the CPU into the
ground - although a 32 proc 10,000 is not CPU challenged)?

I would like to get the devices to 9MB/sec/stream.  They are using Sun RSM
arrays and I have split the streams by controller.  With Alexandria
software, I can acheive 7.5-8MB/sec/stream with a quiet system.  I would
like to match that figure. I am shooting for, with media manipulation, no
more than 8.5 hours to backup the system.

Any insight or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

David Hendrix
dmhendri AT fedex DOT com